I have been given this product as part of a product review through the Chronic Illness Bloggers Network. Although the product was a gift, all opinions in this review remain my own and I was in no way influenced by the company.
The day I got my TheraSpecs was a particularly great day for my eyes!
First, I got a call from the Optometrist’s office that my new glasses were ready for pickup. Then, just a few minutes later the courier dropped off a package containing my indoor TheraSpecs! It would be great to test out these therapeutic lenses with my corrected prescription.
As soon as I opened the box and tried on the TheraSpecs by themselves I already noticed a difference. There was less strain on my eyes and brain.
I started getting migraines when I was a teenager. They usually hit in the afternoon during my last class. The doctor couldn’t figure out what was wrong; however, I soon had a suspicion that it was the florescent lights. I tried wearing sunglasses to class and it helped a little, but the teachers were not impressed. After all those years, it is interesting that the documentation I received with my TheraSpecs states that sunglasses worn inside can actually increase light sensitivity.
Some of my migraines are triggered by foods, medication, or my sinuses; however, since I got the TheraSpecs I realize light is the biggest villain of all.
I have also noticed that since I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and other chronic illnesses, my migraines, and more importantly my sensitivity to certain light and sound, have increased.
Let me tell you about this amazing product. According to the company, TheraSpecs:
- Reduce migraine attack frequency by 74%
- Bring relief to almost 90% of people who try them
- Filter nearly 80% of the most harmful wavelengths of blue-green light, including those associated with the pulsing in fluorescent lighting
- Offer therapeutic relief without side effects or risk of medication overuse headache
How do TheraSpecs work?
My Hubby likes to call them my rose colored glasses and that is the key to their success. TheraSpecs have a rose tint which filters out the harmful rays of light. However, it isn’t just as simple as tinting the lenses pink. The tint has to be very specific and applied to the lens properly. This is what the TheraSpecs company does – and they guarantee that you will be satisfied or they will give you a refund. They stand behind their product 100%.
This chart from TheraSpecs’ book “Light And Your Health” is very illuminating (pun intended). I was amazed at the difference between fluorescent light and all others. The book is available for download on their website, theraspecs.com. I found it very interesting and it helped to understand my migraines and sensitivity better.
Company founder Hart Shafer created TheraSpecs to help his wife with her migraines. They worked so well the couple decided to make them available to the public. I for one am very happy they did!
Do TheraSpecs really work?
I decided I needed to really give the TheraSpecs a workout before writing this review and this is what that looked like.
- I wore them in the kitchen with the overhead fluorescent light on, both in the daytime and at night. I noticed that I could see better and my eyes didn’t squint or feel strained. To be honest, I didn’t realize until I had tried them a couple of times that this was the problem. Now, I don’t work in the kitchen without them.
- I wore them while working on the computer and watching TV. In both cases, I could think better than before I used the TheraSpecs. Again, I attribute this to the fluorescent lights in each room. In the past, if I had a headache or a migraine I would not be able to stare at a screen for any length of time. Now, the TheraSpecs not only help when I have a headache, they prevent them as well.
- I decided I needed to broaden my testing ground so I wore them on a Costco trip. Every time I head into the warehouse store I get anxious, tired, and often find my head is pounding by the time we leave. Over the years I figured this was due to the crowds, my chronic conditions and just hating shopping there. Wearing the TheraSpecs, I got through a major shop with very little eyestrain, anxiety or a headache. I did still get tired and achy, but the glasses can’t do everything! Costco has these very powerful lights with glass covers and a high-vaulted metal ceiling to brighten up the store as much as possible. It was those very lights that were causing me problems.
- I was so pleased with the success in Costco, I wore the glasses into other shops and found similar results.
- Recently my in-laws invited us out for lunch with my brother-in-law. I was suffering from a really intense migraine that morning but I really hate letting them down because I miss so much as it is with my health. So, I took some extra medication and my TheraSpecs. Now the glasses couldn’t do anything about the noise in the restaurant; however, they filtered all the light and made it much easier to not only cope but focus on having a good time with family.
TheraSpecs come in six frame styles and one for kids. All frame styles can be fitted with indoor or outdoor lenses. Mine are for indoor use but can be combined with sunglasses for outdoor use. TheraSpecs will also tint your prescription lenses or will craft lenses with your prescription. I find that the wraparound style of my frames, which are designed to fit over my glasses, is very comfortable and definitely filters all light. They are pictured at the top of the screen. Honestly, it doesn’t feel like I have two pairs of glasses on.
I highly recommend TheraSpecs to anyone who suffers from migraines or any type of light sensitivity. Check out their website for more information or to order your TheraSpecs!