Happy Family Day?

fingerfamily

As far as I know, today is a holiday only in a couple of provinces in Canada including mine. Some other provinces celebrate next weekend and others don’t have a February holiday at all. It just seems like someone in our government decided they wanted some time off between Christmas and Easter.

I am not knocking it at all. I am always glad to spend more time with my Hubby. And, of course, he is family! I am just not sure what they think “Family Day” means.

So, I thought I would give it my own interpretation.

My dear friend Dee and her family went up to a ski resort for the weekend. She and her oldest son are heading back today. She texted me on the road conditions and said they were having a “nice chat”. Her husband and younger son are spending the day together and will drive down tomorrow.

Hubby and I have been sitting beside each other clicking away on our keyboards and often sharing things that we read or that we have written for feedback. We’ve caught up on sleep and TV, and had a great lunch out with his parents.

I noticed on my Facebook that friends have gone to the movies or are going to see one today with their family. Others are doing stuff around the house or going out and enjoying the beautiful sunshine after the bizarreΒ weather we have been having.

But aren’t these all things we can (and maybe should) be doing any weekend?

Oh, and yes, tomorrow is Valentine’s Day. I have always said that if I can’t show my love in some little way every day of my marriage, what good is a box of chocolates or a bunch of flowers (both of which I am allergic to) on one specific day going to prove?

Please don’t get me wrong. I am not against holidays and celebrations. What I am is pro celebrating love every day.

With love,
Lydia!

This entry was posted in Family, Life and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Happy Family Day?

1. Aishwarya says:

Hi Lydia, I am all for love every day. I believe in the same idea as yours, to love everyday and to celebrate every moment with the other. But a day dedicated to love doesn’t hurt, does it? πŸ˜‰ And I am all for flowers and gifts πŸ˜‰

• LydiaA1614 says:

Oh, no, I am not against Valentine’s or any other celebration. πŸ™‚ I just mean like you say “love every day and celebrate every moment!” And as for flowers, and chocolates, I have to pass on those, but my Hubby always finds some way to show his love even more that day than the rest of the year. I usually make him a very special dinner or hand make a card with my own verse! This year I am doing some baking that he can eat that doesn’t bother his (many) food allergies!

2. hermigraine says:

You’re right, and our family day is next Monday, Feb 20th (ONT why all so different, and who made this holiday up in the first place?). I’m not complaining though

3. I had no idea V day is tomorrow until I saw it on Twitter and I still didn’t believe it until I checked my phone’s calendar. Lol.

4. health4earth says:

How fun to have a holiday. I had never heard of that before. Happy Love Day, everyday!

5. thejuicenut says:

Hi Lydia, Happy St Valentine’s Day! Has the book arrived yet? 😊

• LydiaA1614 says:

Thanks, and same to you. No, it hasn’t but we have had some mail delays due to weather here (not that it is bad compared to other areas, just unusual here.

• thejuicenut says:

Ok, I’ll keep hoping…

• LydiaA1614 says:

Me too. I keep watching for it. I will let you know as soon as it arrives!

• LydiaA1614 says:

I just wanted to let you know that it still hasn’t arrived. How did you send it. Was it USPS? Our mail boxes have been unavailable for the last 3 days because they are changing the locks. If it is small enough to fit in there then they are holding it back until the lock is fixed. If it is larger, they are probably holding it anyway and I will get the pickup notice when we get the rest of our mail. I was really hoping it was today because now we have to wait for Tuesday (the federal government agencies are out on a holiday Monday). If you sent it by courier or other means can you let me know how. Our complex is, well, complex to get around in and a lot of delivery people (including the mail) don’t make a huge effort. We are moving as soon as we can sell and I can’t wait. I also can’t wait to recieve my book. I have been waiting and get excited every time I see a mail truck.

• thejuicenut says:

Hi Lydia, I can only say it went airmail by Royal Mail but once it leaves these shores I have no idea how it gets to you. I have yet to successfully post a package to the US, Ventral America or, now, Canada. I have lost so much money – several of the packages were donations to a children’s charity that went missing and 2 others gifts for a newborn baby – but can’t claim compensation once they leave Royal Mail’s hands as there is no tracking. I am so sorry about this, what an anti-climax. πŸ˜•

• LydiaA1614 says:

I am sure it is not lost and it will come with the mail then. Honestly UK to Canada is just slow, but it will get here. I used to correspond with a distant cousin regarding our family tree and it took 10 days to 2 weeks to get something but nothing was ever lost. I will keep you “posted”.

• thejuicenut says:

I even looked on Amazon Canada to see if I could have another posted to you but it’s only available at silly prices fom the Marketplace!

• LydiaA1614 says:

Do not fret. It will be here. πŸ™‚

• thejuicenut says:

Just remembered, in my last competition I sent a Juicemaster dvd to the US winner, after several weeks we had all but given up on it when it suddenly arrived, so maybe there’s still hope 😊

• LydiaA1614 says:

There is always hope! πŸ™‚

6. bethanyk says:

I asked my husband for nothing special today because I just want to have time with him. I like a little bit of love every day too and family time. I don’t need a special day for love. Just like you, I have nothing against it. I just like to feel so content and loved that I don’t really need a day for flowers since my husband bought them for me last week for no reason except he wanted to!

• LydiaA1614 says:

Wow, that is really nice. I took my hubby out to DQ last night for ice cream. We considered that our Valentine’s celebration. I also made short ribs for dinner which is nothing fancy but he was so happy and I enjoyed it too. Today he got up early to take me to a medical appointment and was there for me when it didn’t go as well as I had hoped. To me, those things are celebrations of love…oh and getting flowers for no reason πŸ™‚

• bethanyk says:

We did the same. Had dinner last night. He took me to an appointment today and was very sweet after my appointment. It is things like that that make me feel loved.
        I’m sorry your appointment didn’t go as you had hoped!

• LydiaA1614 says:

That’s okay, in a way it did because we have ruled out the most serious thing about my throat. It just means that I still can get a “there is something wrong with you but we have no idea what it is” diagnosis. But my Hubby was so supportive.

• bethanyk says:

It is so frustrating to know there is something wrong but to not know what it is or how to fix it. I hope you find answers soon.