I am late to the party on this daily prompt word (it is from Saturday). However, when I finally checked it I couldn’t resist as it is the perfect word on so many levels.
- On Friday at 2:20 pm (exactly 2 hours late), I was wheeled into the operating room for my hernia repair. The on-again-off-again-on-again surgery was finally happening. Since I only had around 48 hours notice, I was feeling better about it – not so much time to stress out.
- Much of the stress I was feeling about moving also melted away with the surgery. I can’t lift for 2-6 weeks and we are going to be in our new place two weeks from today (Saturday). I have packed about all I can and now I just leave it in the capable hands of Hubby, friends and, of course, God.
- I was able to handle some claustrophobic situations during surgery such as having an oxygen mask on my face when I was put to sleep, and enduring a C-Pap machine (used for sleep apnea, they were trying to get my oxygen levels up) in recovery…for an hour!
- I took the news well that I would have to stay overnight because of the breathing and heart rate concerns (the former being low and the latter high). I knew that if they were able to stabilize them right away, there was less chance I would be coming back if I couldn’t manage the levels at home.
- My faith was strengthened when I was able to tell my story to a nurse who regained some hope. I also prayed for an elderly patient (from where I was) who was in a lot of pain, was breathing on his own, but was not waking up. They were quite concerned about him, and I was too. But the Lord must have heard my prayers because when they were working on him he squeezed the nurse’s finger when asked to.
- The doctor told Hubby that I came through the surgery well. The charge nurse told him I was a “Trooper”.
- While I am in pain, I am feeling very “up”. There have been no signs of depression which often comes after anesthetic.
Okay, I am sure you got the hospital visit part, but you are probably asking what about the purple dress. You may have read my previous post The Paramedic and The Purple Dress where I was rushed to the hospital all dressed up for a family reunion BBQ at my in-laws. It is no secret that purple is my favorite color and I have lots of it!
I just got some new clothes that I ordered from an online company. I have shopped there a lot because the clothes are cotton and comfortable and come in larger sizes. My previous purple dress was from there as well. I just got the package last week and when I tried on the purple dress I knew it was what I wanted to wear home from the hospital. It is loose and light and purple always helps me to look better than I feel!
Sure enough, the nurse came over to me when I had changed and said, “oh my, that is a lovely purple dress.”
A previous hospital tradition that my Mom started when I was young was to get a pineapple milkshake from Dairy Queen. I found out a few years ago that I am allergic to pineapple. So, the new hospital tradition is going to be to wear there or home a purple dress! It makes things so much better. (Oh, and that isn’t me in the picture, but it is the dress).